Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

First Kisses

First Kiss - awww

There is nothing more important or memorable than a first kiss. In life and in fiction. Much of my writing is for teens so some of the first kisses I am writing are FIRST KISSES. You know, that first ever kiss that some of us had earlier than others. The first kiss from which every subsequent first kiss is merely a reflection.

I know that one of the reasons I read and write romance is to remember that feeling of excitement and discovery at the beginning of a relationship. To shiver with the memory of hands touching, those careful looks from the corner of eyes, feeling dry mouthed, my heart thumping and stomach churning before that first kiss.

I wrote 'The First Kiss' because I wanted to create the prefect kiss for a teenager. Teen kisses can be as much about crossing a threshold to adulthood as the person you actually kiss. But if you happen to kiss the perfect boy then lucky you!


My very first kiss was when I was seventeen and at a school dance. It traumatised me so that I can no longer eat chicken flavoured crisps - enough said. So when I wrote this I thought back to a date I had about a year after that disastrous first kiss. It was a perfect day and I've always wished it could've been my first kiss. Luckily I'm a writer so I can make it happen.

But writing it also reminded me of all my first kisses (and being a woman of a certain age there have been a few). Some have been memorable for all the right reasons and some for all the wrong.

Standing under a lamppost in Leeds in the snow stealing kisses every time we got to a curb or lamppost. On a river bank with me nervously talking and him kissing me to shut me up. At a Christmas party with a guy I had liked for a long time. On the bus after a night out at a ski resort, having held hands under the table all night. On my birthday on a sofa after having been cooked a beautiful lunch. Coming out of a pub on a cold night giggling because the brim of my hat was in the way and then afterwards being left breathless and stunned. At a bus stop when a kiss missed a cheek and hit the lips.

Each kiss was as different as the person it was with and this is what I have to remember when I'm writing. Each hero and heroine are different and so their first kisses need to be to.

What do you remember about first kisses?




'The First Kiss' is now available to buy here

1 comment:

Joshua said...

The first kiss is the hottest and most memorable.